28 November 2009

Part Six: Stuff

I chose that rather informal title for this part because a lot of these things could be considered movie memorabilia, but others are just the random things I've accumulated over my time as a cinephile.

The first thing I started to collect is my movie ticket stubs. At first, I just displayed them up on my wall (as a border to my Titanic poster), but as the collection grew and I wanted to take them to Columbia with me, I put them in a binder in trading card sleeves. The oldest one of mine I've come across is for Pocahontas (1995), but I didn't start regularly collecting them until 2000. As far as collections go, I have also amassed quite a stock of movie lobby cards. I look for them every time I go to the theater, and other people have picked them up for me too.

My family has always loved to play board games, especially trivia. During my time in high school, the board game SceneIt came out. SceneIt combines movie trivia, movie clips and classic board game features. I can't even begin to imagine how many hours of this decade I've spent playing SceneIt.

Another board game, "Alfred Hitchcock Presents Why," is probably the coolest piece of movie memorabilia that I own. In January 2008, my friend Ameena and I went to the antique mall in Columbia and made quite the discovery when we found that. So I bought it, along with a couple other movie-related items, and we played it a few days later. It combines aspects of Clue and Go Fish, and one of the possible ways to win is by putting together a few cards to make a silhouette Hitchcock's famous profile.

I have decouphaged an old army trunk and an old bookshelf/cookie display with some of my favorite movie-related images. As those took a lot of work and look pretty cool, they are probably my favorite homemade movie items. I also have created a makeshift reel out of clear Christmas lights and pictures from some of my favorite movies, and a scrapbook which I named "MovieCat's Book of Film."

Those items only scratch the surface - I've also accumulated a lot of posters, t-shirts, glossy black and white photos of Bette Davis and Cary Grant, and a lot of small little movie-related trinkets. I would imagine that I'll only continue to accumulate all of these things in the next decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment