23 December 2009

Part Twelve: Favorite Franchises of the Decade

It seems like this decade, more than ever, sequels and movie franchises have become the order of the movie business, especially in Hollywood. Harry Potter, the fellowship of THE ring, Daniel Ocean (plus a few friends), Bridget Jones, Shrek, Jason Bourne, Captain Jack Sparrow and a gaggle of superheroes all saw multiple trips to the multiplexes in the 2000s.

The Dark Knight, the remake of Ocean's Eleven, the first Shrek, the fifth Harry Potter and the first Pirates of the Caribbean all narrowly escaped my top 10, so I deemed it necessary to also add on my five favorite film franchises of the decade. The Bourne movies, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Spider-Man movies and the Bridget Jones movies would make up six, seven, eight and nine for me. (I only took into account the franchises that started, or restarted, in this decade.)

MovieCat's Top Five Film Franchises of the 2000s

1. The retooling of the Batman franchise. (Batman Begins - 2005; The Dark Knight - 2008)
When I went to the midnight screening of Batman Begins I was amazed. It blew the Spider-Man films and every other comic book or superhero movie that had come before it out of the water. Which, to this Tim Burton (who directed the Batman and Batman Returns) fan, was quite a fete. I didn't think it could get any better. Then I saw the trailer for The Dark Knight a couple of years later and had a pretty strong feeling that I was about to be proven wrong. And I was. Not only is The Dark Knight quite possibly the greatest Batman/comic book/superhero film to ever grace the screens; it is an excellent film in general, which is why it's no. 21 on my list of the top 100 films of the decade (next post).

2. The Harry Potter films. (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 2001; Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 2002; Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 2004; Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 2005; Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 2007; Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - 2009)
I come to see these movies with a pretty pure, open mind, as I have not read any of the books. On their own, these first six movies do a great job of telling a story that's accessible to kids but still brings on the drama and a bit of darkness every now and then, of which I consider only the best family films to be capable. Order of the Phoenix is hands-down my favorite (so far), as it was filled with tension and action that kept me on the edge of my seat (twice) in the theater. I think the whole rebelliousness aspect to it, the formation of Dumbledore's Army, was something I really found to be engaging. It also helps that Gary Oldman is perfect as Sirius and Ralph Fiennes is perfect as Voldemort. This franchise will extend into the next decade - the seventh movie comes out in 2010, and the eighth in 2011.

3. The Shrek movies. (Shrek - 2001, Shrek 2 - 2004, Shrek the Third - 2007)
While I prefer the first movie (as is the case with most franchises), I still rather enjoyed both sequels to this most unlikely fairy tale. The combination of breaking and fulfilling all the fairy tale conventions in these films really won me over, as I am a sucker for a good fairy tale. This franchise will also extend into the teens, as Shrek Forever After hits theaters in May 2010.

4. The Pirates of the Caribbean movies. (The Curse of the Black Pearl - 2003, Dead Man's Chest - 2006, At World's End - 2007)
I was raised on Johnny Depp, and it seems like, out of all of his roles, Captain Jack Sparrow is the one he was born to play. He loves the part and so do fans all over the world. I was a bit apprehensive about seeing the first movie: Depp, whose acting and roles generally tend to best fit non-mainstream films, was getting as mainstream as it got - a Disney movie based on a theme park ride. Disney was worried about Depp's performance being too weird, but I loved it, as did the majority of the movie-going masses. Depp is now one of the most bankable stars in Hollywood, bringing more attention to both the bigger (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and smaller (Finding Neverland) films he has done this decade. I'm happy that Depp is getting attention he deserves, but, in a way, I also am reluctant to share him with the world. This franchise was rumored to have stopped with three films, but it was recently announced that the fourth film is in planning stages, with Depp signed on to play Captain Jack Sparrow yet again.

5. The Ocean's movies. (Ocean's Eleven - 2001, Ocean's Twelve - 2004, Ocean's Thirteen - 2007)
Sure, the second movie wasn't very good and the third, while much better than the second, still didn't quite capture the same effect as the first, but this franchise will always have a place in this film lover's heart. George Clooney is being George Clooney. These films and the Bourne trilogy helped transform Matt Damon into a movie star. For Brad Pitt, the Ocean's movies signify a balance between some of the sillier films he made in the 1990s and his transition into a more dramatic leading man in the 2000s. I wasn't a big fan of his in the '90s, but after watching these films and a few others from this decade, I definitely am now. And the other eight, nine or 10 co-stars (depending on the film) all help bring some of the best group chemistry seen on film since the days of the original Ocean's Eleven (1960) and the Rat Pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment